BUSI1189 Business Networks at the University of Greenwich in London is a postgraduate course providing an overview of the network concept as applicable to business, drawing from the concepts of the value system, network economics, and social capital. It surveys network applications to strategic alliances, global commodity chains, and customer relationship management as well as the management of informal relationships within organisations. The course has a strong practical focus on the collection and analysis of network data. The particular operational and ethical challenges of collecting network data are examined. The practicalities of network analysis are confronted through use of the software packages UCINET and NetDraw. We examine the description and visualisation of network data and consider issues of validity and representation, on uncovering structural properties of individual actors and the detection and description of groups. We consider how to test network hypotheses. Finally we explore issues around the interpretation of network metrics, particularly the interpretative role of survey respondents themselves.

Dr Bruce Cronin MA MSc PhD MCMI

Head of the Department of International Business

University of Greenwich Business School

Park Row, London SE10 9LS

Ph: +44(0)20-8331-9786

Fax: +44(0)20-8331-9005

Centre for Business Network Analysis:

www.gre.ac.uk/schools/business/consulting/centre for business_network_analysis<http://www.gre.ac.uk/schools/business/consulting/centre%20for%20business_network_analysis>

University of Greenwich, a charity and company limited by guarantee, registered in England (reg. no. 986729).
Registered office: Old Royal Naval College, Park Row, Greenwich, London SE10 9LS.