Thanks so much to all the help I've had on this question.  I've learnt some very interesting things and continue to be amazed at how willing others are to pitch in when asked.

Some ahah moments - the network(s) I've been exploring are relatively cohesive with few weakly connected members.  Which means, I think, that the node with even one or two connections to another node otherwise unconnected to the network, raises them to the top of the pack as far as betweenness centrality goes.  That seems to be what happened, which adds another story to this saga... :)

Thanks again!

Sandy