---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lawrence E. Raffalovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: Respondent-driven Sampling - IRB Issue with Incentives
To: Lindsay Young <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Barbara Ritter <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Lindsay,
I don't know whether your work-around will satisfy your IRB, but there are
a couple of other issues that you should consider:
1) Be careful how you define "completed survey". Respondents must be told
that they can decline to answer any question for any reason. So you cannot
require that any set of questions be answered.

2) Carefully design the way you will identify respondents for distribution
of compensation ("rewards" may be inadvisable). It is critical to maintain
the confidentiality of respondents & is best for respondents to be
anonymous. An on-line survey (post invitations to stage-1, ask that
stage-1 forward location of post to stage-2, etc). Coding procedures can
trace back without breach of anonymity. Consent should advise that
compensation will involve loss of anonymity & list procedures to protect
confidentiality.

Please post to this list responses that you receive privately.

Thanks,
 --Larry

> *****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org  *****
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm hoping to use respondent-driven sampling (RDS) for a network
survey-based project.  However, I'm coming up against an IRB problem.
My
> institution *does no*t allow any incentives to paid to respondents for
helping researchers recruit participants.  For those who don't know much
about RDS, the procedure uses a dual reward system: (1) a respondent is
rewarded for taking the survey and (2) the respondent is also rewarded
for
> *
> successfully* recruiting subsequent participants (*successful* meaning that
> the recruit completed the survey as well).
>
> Does anyone have advice for working around this issue? One idea that a
colleague of mine suggested was to build in a small follow-up
> questionnaire
> to administer to a respondent (post survey completion), perhaps a few
questions about the nature of the relationship between the respondent
and
> the people they recruited.  Then, the reward that was originally meant
for
> successful recruitment could be justifiable given for participating in
the
> follow-up survey.
>
> I would appreciate any creative suggestions and/or advice based on past
experiences in getting IRB approval for a study using RDS.  Thanks in
advance.

> Cheers,
> Lindsay
>

> --
> Lindsay Young
> Doctoral Student
> Northwestern University
> School of Communication
> Media, Technology and Society (MTS)

Lawrence E. Raffalovich
Associate Professor

Department of Sociology               e-mail: [log in to unmask]
University at Albany
State University of New York          Voice: (518) 442-4456
1400 Washington Ave.                  Fax:   (518) 442-4936
Albany, NY 12222