Dear Grace and Other Tutor Training Professionals,

I concur on the issue of exorbitant fees for professional development,
especially re: tutoring:
f2f or online, tutor training, and assessment.

Many of the topics listed have been covered in detail by Dr. Ross
MacDonald in his research-
based project, The California Tutor Project, and subsequently highlighted
effectively in his
book, The Master Tutor:.... and pre/post assessment The  TESAT (Tutor
Evaluation and
Self-Assessment Tool).  400+ institutions use these training  aids to
validate the outcomes of
tutor training and many have received international certification from CRLA
 (list on website
below).

Additionally, results internationally continue to validate the
effectiveness of training and a
15th Anniversary Celebration is currently in progress that offers a  free
copy of the Guidebook
to all interested in adopting the text for tutor training (see
attachment).  Note: limited to serious
colleagues will dedicated funding sources, please!

We encourage new  research which is definitely needed.
Hopefully,research-based texts, assess-
ments, and curriculum will result from such.  However, before large  sums
are allocated to efforts
that some few as "recreating the wheel," reading and using what already
works for so many
may be the less costly alternative.

I hope this helps more promptly further the effectiveness of those who
tutor internationally.

Collegially

Peter W.  Stevens
President-The Cambridge Stratford Study Skills Institute,
a  division of Cambridge Stratford, Ltd
8560 Main Street
Williamsville, NY  14221
_www.cambridgestratford.com_ (http://www.cambridgestratford.com/)