On 9/27/10 2:54 PM, "Adams, Peter D." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Great summary, Donna.  The only thing I might add was that I kept
> hearing a recognition that we have paid a lot of attention to structure
> and policy concerning dev ed, but very little to instruction/pedagogy.
> Lots of recognition that many of us teaching dev ed courses have little
> formal preparation for doing so.  And, very little research into what
> forms of instruction work and which are less successful.

My view is that there is theory/research for teaching dev ed math
successfully, but it runs counter to the opinions (experiences) of the great
majority of math teachers so it is ignored.

Specifically, research (and common sense) indicates that group instruction
(usually lecture) is ineffective with dev ed students.  The two major
guidelines to improving dev ed math instruction are:

(1)  Accept the fact that any group of dev ed math students has a diversity
of prior knowledge and readiness that is extreme.  There can be no place to
start instruction for such groups; group presentations can meet the needs of
only a small portion of the group.  The information delivery system for a
dev ed course must provide each student what is needed at the time it is
needed.  That delivery system can not be the teacher.

(2)  Recognize that information is not equivalent to learning. Learning
occurs only when information is processed.  Traditionally, the student
received information from the teacher and processed it by doing assignments
when the teacher was not present.  In other words, the learning occurred in
the absence of the teacher.  In dev ed math courses, teachers need to be
present and active helping each dev ed math student process information.

Bob