From: "Laurie Hazard" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:24:42 PM
Subject: Re: Specialized services for returning adults and for English Language Learners

Hi Nancy,

For English Language Learners, we have in our Learning Center, a
full-time Academic Services Coordinator for International Students and
English Language Learners (I know it's a mouthful). This role is to
track the academic progress of this population, meet with these students
one-on-one, assess their needs individually, and hook them up with the
campus resource that they need to support them, and then monitor it all.
I think you hit the nail on the head: Services for non-native English
speakers differ so greatly from college to college...............and the
student needs vary so greatly, which is why we went this route to
address the needs in a one-on-one forum. It's a resource issue, I
know..................we are fortunate to have this position.