I also say thank you.  We are in the process of having our university
reorganize us and so I am particularly interested in this type of
information.
Thanks,
Lisa

Lisa Christman
Lecturer II, Mathematics
University College
University of Central Arkansas
501-450-3311

>>> Shari Clevenger <[log in to unmask]> 9/27/2010 12:24 PM >>>
Thank you, Donna for sharing that. It just peaks my interests even
more
though. Were there published papers from the conference?
Thank you,

Shari Clevenger
Instructor/Coordinator Reading Enhancement
Northeastern State University
Seminary Hall 357
609 N. Grand Avenue
Tahlequah, OK 74464
918-444-3607

Learning is not attained by chance,
it must be sought for with ardor
and attended to with diligence."
~Abigail Adams

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Donna Hill <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I attended the conference last week, and it was both phenomenal and
> challenging. Here are a few of the things that I took away from the
> conference:
>
> Developmental education, in its current form, is not working.
Persistence,
> retention, and graduation rates are abysmal. Thomas Bailey showed an
> interesting (yet discouraging) slide showing the percentage of
students who
> drop out between each step and how few ever make it to graduation.
>
> Overall, placement tests are not doing an adequate job placing
students
> into the appropriate courses. Panelists encouraged using
noncognitive
> assessments in addition to the standard COMPASS or ASSET tests. I
have a
> list at home of four factors to consider that I'll try to remember to
bring
> tomorrow.
>
> Some of the promising practices such as learning communities,
> contextualized courses, modular courses, etc. are showing very
modest
> improvement in student success. Some studies show that these
interventions
> aren't making much of a difference while others demonstrate a small
increase
> in retention.
>
> The main takeaway from the conference is that we need revolution as
well as
> evolution. Programs are not going to solve the problems in
developmental
> education; a systemic revolution must occur on campuses in order to
see a
> significant change.
>
> Although this all sounds very discouraging, I am encouraged to see so
many
> different organizations (NCPR, NADE, Lumina, Gates, Jobs for the
Future,
> etc.) looking into ways to revolutionize developmental education.
>
> Please feel free to ask any questions you have about the conference.
I'll
> do my best to answer them!
>
> Donna Hill, Chair
> English Department