From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kesterson, Thomas D (Jefferson)
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 2:53 PM
To: Post-Secondary Developmental Education Discussion
Subject: [Kadeky1: For Discussion] National Center for Postsecondary Research Conference

Hi,

Use Control/Click to follow Links to Presentation Notes for the National Center for Postsecondary Research Conference
Presentation:

"Developmental Education Outcomes" (Thomas Bailey)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/BaileyPresentationDevEdConf.pdf>

 *   Student Progression Through Developmental Sequences in Community Colleges [Brief Report] (Thomas Bailey, Dong Wook Jeong, and Sung-Woo Cho)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel1_Bailey%20Jeong%20Cho.pdf>

 *   Rethinking Developmental Education in Community College [Brief Report] (Thomas Bailey)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel1_BaileyBrief.pdf>

 *   Challenge and Opportunity: Rethinking the Role and Function of Developmental Education in Community College [Working Paper] (Thomas Bailey)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel1_Baileypaper.pdf>

Presentation:

"Does Remediation Work for All Students? How the Effects of Postsecondary Remedial and Developmental Courses Vary by Level of Academic Preparation" (Bridget Terry Long and Angela Boatman)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/BoatmanLongHandout.pdf>

 *   Does Remediation Work for All Students? How the Effects of Postsecondary Remedial and Developmental Courses Vary by Level of Academic Preparation [Working Paper] (Bridget Terry Long and Angela Boatman)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/DoesRemediationWorkPaper.pdf>

Presentation:

"The Role of State Policy in Improving Outcomes" (Michael Collins)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_MCollins.pdf>

 *   Setting up Success in Developmental Education: How State Policy Can Help Community Colleges Improve Student Outcomes [Policy Brief] (Michael Collins)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel%201_CollinsAtDPolicyBrief.pdf>

 *   The Developmental Education Initiative: State Policy Framework & Strategy [Report] (Michael Collins)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel1_Collins_StatePolicyFramework.pdf>

PANEL 2<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/agenda.html#Panel2> - Assessment and Placement

File Availability

Presentation:

"Assessing Developmental Assessment in Community Colleges: A Review of the Literature" (Katherine Hughes and Judith Scott-Clayton)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel2ScottClaytonHughes_v2.pdf>

 *   Assessing Developmental Assessment in Community Colleges: A Review of the Literature [Working Paper] (Katherine Hughes and Judith Scott-Clayton)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel%202_HughesClaytonPaper.pdf>

Presentation:

"Best Practices in Setting Cut-Scores in Postsecondary Education" (Deanna Morgan)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel2_Morgan.pdf>

 *   Best Practices for Setting Placement Cut Scores in Postsecondary Education [Working Paper] (Deanna Morgan)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel%202_MorganPaper.pdf>

Presentation:

"One-Shot Deal: Students' Perceptions of Assessment and Course Placement at the California Community Colleges" (Andrea Venezia, Kathy Bracco and Thad Nodine)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel2_VeneziaBraccoNodine.pdf>

 *   One-Shot Deal: Students' Perceptions of Assessment and Course Placement at the California Community Colleges [Report] (Andrea Venezia, Kathy Bracco and Thad Nodine)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel2_Venezia.pdf>

Presentation:

"Replacing Remediation with Readiness" (David Conley)

 *   Replacing Remediation with Readiness [Working Paper] (David T. Conley)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel2_Conley.pdf>

PANEL 3<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/agenda.html#Panel3> - Developmental Education Models

File Availability

Presentation:

"Building Foundations for Student Readiness: A Review of Rigorous Research and Promising Trends in Developmental Education" (Elizabeth Zachry and Emily Schneider)

 *   Building Foundations for Student Readiness A Review of Rigorous Research and Promising Trends in Developmental Education [Working Paper] (Elizabeth Zachry and Emily Schneider)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel%203_ZachrySchneiderPaper.pdf>

Presentation:

"Developmental Summer Bridge Programs: Implementation and Early Evidence From A Random Assignment Study " (Heather Wathington)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/Panel3_PPT_Wathington.pdf>

Presentation:

"Learning Communities for Students in Developmental Education: Early Impact Findings from Three Colleges" (Mary Visher)

 *   Learning Communities for Students in Developmental Reading: An Impact Study at Hillsborough Community College [Report] (Michael Weiss, Mary Visher and Heather Wathington)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel3_WeissVisherWashington.pdf>

Presentation:

"Video-based Supplemental Instruction" (Glen Jacobs and Kim Wilcox)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_PresentationWilcox.pdf>

 *   Video-based Supplemental Instruction as an Alternative to Traditional Developmental Courses [Working Paper] (F. Kim Wilcox and Glen Jacobs)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel3_Wilcox%20Jacobs.pdf>

Presentation:

"Washington State's Integrated Basic Education and Skills Training (I-BEST)" (Davis Jenkins)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel3_Jenkins.pdf>

 *   How I-BEST Works: Findings from a Field Study of Washington
State's Integrated Basic Education and Skills Training Program [Report] (John Wachen, Davis Jenkins and Michelle Van Noy)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel3_WachenJenkinsVanNoyPaper.pdf>

 *   Washington State's Integrated Basic Education and Skills
Training Program (I-BEST): New Evidence of Effectiveness [Working Paper] (Matthew Zeidenberg, Sung-Woo Cho and Davis Jenkins)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel3_Zeidenberg%20Cho%20Jenkins.pdf>

PANEL 4<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/agenda.html#Panel4> - Pedagogy and Classroom Strategies

File Availability

Presentation:

"Pedagogy and Classroom Strategies: Overview" (Nikki Edgecombe)

Presentation:

"The Quandaries of Basic Skills: Views from the Classroom" (Norton Grubb)

 *   The Quandaries of Basic Skills: Views from the Classroom [Working Paper] (Norton Grubb)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel4_GrubbPaper.pdf>

Presentation:

"Improving Developmental Mathematics Education in Community Colleges: A Prospectus and Early Status Report on the Statway Initiative" (Uri Treisman and Jenna Cullinane)

 *   Improving Developmental Mathematics Education in Community Colleges: A Prospectus and Early Status Report on the Statway Initiative [Working Paper] (Uri Treisman and Jenna Cullinane)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NCPR_Panel4_CullinaneTreismanPaper_Statway.pdf>

Presentation:

"Contextualized Reading-Writing Intervention Study" (Dolores Perin)

 *   A Contextualized Reading-Writing Intervention for Community College Students [Brief Report] (Dolores Perin and Rachel Hare)

PDF<http://www.postsecondaryresearch.org/conference/PDF/NPCR_Panel4_Perin%20Hare.pdf>

Breakout Session:

BC3: Contextualized Reading-Writing Intervention Study (Negar Farakish and Dolores Perin)