Hello BESTers,

Here's another way of looking at food waste.  Not only are we
wasting potential energy that could be produced through food waste
digestion, but we are wasting all the embodied energy in growing,
transporting, processing, storing and cooking that food while
using energy to dispose of it. A new report published by the
American Chemical Society titled "Wasted Energy, Wasted Energy:
The Embedded Energy in Food Waste in the United States" was just
released.  It reports that we are wasting 350 million barrels of
oil every year by wasting food.  Food waste digestion helps to
recover some of this embodied energy, in addition offsets fossil
fuel use and synthetic fertilizer use, which is itself another
major consumer of fossil fuels.  This link is an article that
describes the major points and also includes a link to the main
article.
Have a great weekend,
Ryan

http://cleantechnica.com/2010/10/11/a-painless-way-to-save-energy-save-food/

A Painless Way to Save Energy: Save Food
Clean Technica
October 11, 2010
Tina Casey