Hello everybody,
I have a question regarding the following article: "The Social Semantics of
LiveJournal FOAF: Structure and Change from 2004 to 2005" (
http://www.scribd.com/doc/353326/The-Social-Semantics-of-LiveJournal-FOAF-Structure-and-Change-from-2004-to-2005).
I've already addressed it to the authors, but, unfortunatelly they didn't
respond.
In short, they used Principle Component Analysis (PCA) to correlate top500
users with top500 interests from a sample of LJ-users. Their results
demonstrated, that there is no correlation between them. As far as I
understand, it means that people's choise for friends is independent from
their interests. So, can we say, that it means lack of homophily in this set
of bloggers? And, more general, can we use PCA to make such inference?
This summer I've been in Essex Summer School and took 2 advanced courses in
SNA, but as far as I understood it is resourse demanding to run any
homophily tests on a set of 1200 nodes (not talking about ergm). Am I rite?
Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Alexander.

--
Alexander Semenov.
MA student

Graduate Student in Sociology at
State University - Higher School of Economics
http://www.hse.ru/eng