All,

I have what seems to be a simple question about interlocking networks,
but I'm having trouble coming up with a straightforward answer.  Any
suggestions would be much appreciated.

Given a two-mode person-to-group network X, it is easy to obtain a
one-mode  person-to-person network Y.  Namely, Y = X * X' (see Breiger
1976).

What is the smallest number of groups in X that can produce a given
network Y?  And, relatedly, what features of Y influence how many
groups are needed in X.

Thanks
Zachary

--