  Hi socnetters,

Although there indeed are some truly excellent and well-established
software tools for conducting hierarchical clustering of network data, I
am still trying to implement it in my language of choice (php actually).
However, even though I understand the principles of agglomerative vs
divisive algorithms, as well as the varieties of single-link etc, I
still can't get the thinking right on how to implement an algorithm that
works similar to how it's done in Ucinet (i.e. particularly the
resulting Part-table where each node is assigned a subgroup index at
each cutoff-level).

Are there any open-source hc algorithms available? Is the algorithm used
in Ucinet open-source? I found some pseudocode at Soss' homepage
(http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~soss/cs644/projects/siourbas/sect5.html) and I
have also had a look at the C source code that Cluster 3.0 utilizes, but
I would need something in-between with regards to detail level (the
latter C code seems to include a lot of auxilliary functions).

Yours,
Carl

--
Dr Carl Nordlund