Yes, Madoff and Salander had two key networks -- 1) Buy and 2) Sell. Salander had one network to acquire the art and another to sell the art.   Since Madoff did not appear to have actually invested the monies received, his Buy and Sell networks may have been the same.

Here we see Madoff's inflows of money from key feeders/accumulators...
http://www.thenetworkthinkers.com/2009/02/madoff-feeder-funds.html
We notice 1)structural holes and 2)distance(Madoff was beyond the network horizon of many of his investors).  Distance may be the key ingredient?  Distance/Separation via structural holes and distance via steps in the network - horizon of observability(Friedkin 1983).

Valdis Krebs
http://orgnet.com