Applications are invited for the post of Professor of Sociology in the UCD School of Sociology, UCD College of Human Sciences.

The School holds the premier place in the field of sociology in Ireland and has a longstanding commitment to research of the highest quality, and the provision of innovative and dynamic teaching programmes. Our goals are: to continue to develop as the country’s leading centre for sociological research and to enhance our international profile in this respect; to consolidate and extend our teaching programmes, particularly at graduate level; and to play a central role in enhancing UCD’s position as an internationally recognised centre for academic excellence.

Research

With 16.5 full-time members of staff, distinguished Visiting and Emeritus Professors and a large number of research students, the School is engaged in an extensive range of research activities. The School has recently made a number of significant new moves towards the successful realisation of its core goals: to develop its position as the country’s leading centre for sociological research and to enhance its international profile as a key centre for comparative social research and social theory; to consolidate and extend our teaching programmes, particularly at graduate level.

The School is engaged in an extensive range of research activities and has particular strengths in the areas of sociological theory, the comparative study of social stratification and the welfare state and Irish social and cultural studies, globalization, health and civil society and the public sphere. Staff members of the School have a strong track record of high-quality publications in these areas, and of attracting significant amounts of external funding for research projects. It is currently actively involved in major projects funded by the Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences and the EU Seventh Framework Programme.

The School of Sociology is a member of the European Consortium for Sociological Research and the Irish Social Science Platform. Senior members of the School currently hold executive positions in the International Sociological Association and the European Consortium for Sociological Research. The School of Sociology has strong research links with Schools in cognate disciplines, as well as with several key UCD research institutes. The School currently provides the Director for the Social Science Research Centre which seeks to promote collaboration in the social sciences both within and beyond UCD. It is also actively associated with the Geary Institute, the Humanities Institute of Ireland, the Institute of Criminology, the Institute of British-Irish Studies, the Dublin European Institute, and the Clinton Centre for American Studies.

Teaching and Learning

The UCD School of Sociology is the largest centre for sociological teaching in Ireland. At undergraduate level, the School primarily contributes to the BA and BSocSc degree programmes, and plays a central role in contributing to various ‘pathways’ in the restructured BSocSc, including ‘environmental and

urban studies’, ‘criminology and social order’, and ‘advanced research’. We offer an exciting range of modules, and our courses are popular across the university, attracting large numbers of students.

At graduate level, the School offers a range of taught and research degree programmes. In addition to the MSocSc in Sociology (first established in 1991), we also offer an MSocSc in Health and Illness, and an MSocSc in Migration, Race and Ethnicity. In 201/11 The School, as part of an international

consortium, has launched the Erasmus Mundus Joint European Masters in International Migration and Social Cohesion (MISCO). We recruit approximately 20-25 students each year into our Masters programmes. There are currently 20 students registered for PhD and MLitt research degrees in the School. At doctoral level the School contributes to the Graduate School of Human Sciences modules. It also contributes to the PhD programme in Public Policy and will make a contribution to the recently launched interdisciplinary thematic PhD in Complex Systems and Computational Social Science.

The closing date for applications is 28 November 2010 at 11.30 p.m.

Informal enquiries may be directed Professor Christopher Whelan: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] or 353 1 7168561

The particulars for this position can be found on the UCD HR website: http://www.ucd.ie/hr