  Roberta,

You asked about relevant theories that inform tutor training.  I've
recently retired and no longer train the Peer Instructors (who did more
than tutor), but we found two theories most useful:

1.  Perry's levels of intellectual development.
Perry, W. G. (1970). /Forms of intellectual and ethical development in
the college years: A scheme/. New York, NY: Holt, Rinehart, & Winston.
Perry, W. G. (1999). /Forms of intellectual and ethical development in
the college years: A scheme/. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

Before the learning session, prepare a list of about 20 statements
representing different levels of Perry's scheme.  (Sample question:
When you get to the heart of things, there is one right answer to every
question.)  Participants indicate individually the extent to which they
agree or disagree with each statements; these sheets are their own and
not collected after the exercise.  After a brief chalk talk about
Perry's research method and findings, discuss the implications for
bridging the gap between faculty expectations and student experiences.
For the next few months make note of any student statements (in
tutorials, classes, and workshops) at particular levels of Perry's
scheme and discuss them in individual or staff meetings.

2.  Chickering's seven vectors of college student development.
Chickering, A. W. (1969). /Education and identity/. San Francisco, CA:
Jossey-Bass.
Chickering, A. W., & Reisser, L. (1993). /Education and identity/. San
Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

Prepare handouts of Chickering & Reisser's 7-vector scheme before the
learning session.  During session, discuss Chickering's research and
subsequent modifications.  Explore with participants how their work
promotes or thwarts development on each vector.  (What influences, pro
or con, do other student services, faculty, and curriculum have on
development?)   What changes can be made in the program's tutorials,
courses, and workshops to promote rather than thwart student development
along these vectors?  This learning session should precede staff
decisions about student learning outcomes.

Karen