From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nic Voge
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Question Regarding Study Hall for Athletic Teams

Dear Colleagues,
I am writing to ask for your expertise on a specific question
regarding the effective organization of a weekly study hall for a
single athletic team. By study hall I mean a 2-3 hour designated  time
period (and place) where team members congregate for the purposes of
studying, say one night per week. So, it's not a tutoring session or
study group, per se, as each of the students would most likely be
working on their own course work.

Do any of you have experience with an effective model for how to run
such a study hall? Specifically, do you have input on making the study
halls mandatory or optional? If mandatory, what's your sense of the
consequences (both positive and negative) of having, for instance,
students who have attained a GPA threshold be "allowed" not to attend?
Do any of you have experience in which the purpose of study hall was
explicitly for the student-athletes to work together on the same
course as peers, without a tutor? Is there a maximum (or minimum) size
that makes them effective? Any other experiences or insights you have
to share on a study hall for an athletic team are appreciated.
Thanks,
Nic
____________________________________
Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
(609)258-6921
http://www.princeton.edu/mcgraw/us/

Associate Director
McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning
328C Frist Campus Center
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544

Individual Appointment Times:
By appointment for Fall 2010

"A university is, according to the usual designation, an alma mater,
knowing her children one by one, not a foundry, or a mint, or a
treadmill."-John Henry Newman