In regards to theories:
Fabulous conversation from my esteemed colleagues!  Thank you.

For those looking for a good overview of multiple theorists, pertinent to tutoring and to developmental education, I highly recommend reading the professional resource from Jossey-Bass, Learning & Development, by Sharon Silverman and Martha Casazza.  Chapters 2 and 3 provide a brief overview of many theories, and subsequent chapters provide more in-depth (overview) information as well as case studies/applications.
You might even decide to use the information to provide some background information (and application questions) for your tutors in tutor training.

To everyone: What other professional resources might be good ones for us all to have on our reading shelves?

Jane A. Neuburger,
Director, Tutoring & Study Center
111 Waverly Avenue, Suite 220
Syracuse NY 13244-2320