My wife and I were picking up her aunt at OIA this afternoon and I waited at
the cell phone lot on the south side of the airport. I knew I would have
some time to kill so I brought the binoculars and had a look around while I
was waiting. Actually it was a pretty productive 30 minutes (see the
complete list below). It was nice to see a loggerhead shrike that was
habituated enough to humans to allow me to approach to within a couple of
meters.

I was extremely surprised to see a probable black-necked stilt fly from the
lake/canal running through the fields to the north of the cell lot to a the
marshy canal along the west side of the South Access Road to OIA. I observed
the bird in-flight at a distance of approximately 150 meters. The bird had
black or very dark wings without any pattern, white rump and tail, red legs
extending well beyond the tail, and a straight needle-like bill. I also
heard several calls that I later compared to recordings of black-necked
stilts on xeno-cantu. The calls definitely sounded correct. I am confident
of the identification, but a black-necked stilt would be quite rare for
Orange County at this time of year. I would be interested to hear any other
suggestions that you might have.

Regards and good birding,
Larry Connor
Eustis, FL

Location:     Orlando, OIA Cell Phone Lot
Observation date:     10/27/10
Notes:     Partly cloudy, light wind, hot probably near 90F. I also observed
8 small, unidentified warbler-sized passerines in the vegetation 125-150
meters to the north. Likely they were palm warblers, but were too far away
to identify. The marshy canal along the west side of the south access road
to OIA had several great blue herons, great egrets, snowy egrets, and a
number of ducks. This area was not visible from the location where I made
the observation and they are not included.
Number of species:     7

Black Vulture - Coragyps atratus     1
Turkey Vulture - Cathartes aura     3
Black-necked Stilt - Himantopus mexicanus     1
Rock Pigeon - Columba livia     5
Loggerhead Shrike - Lanius ludovicianus     1
Palm Warbler - Dendroica palmarum     1
Savannah Sparrow - Passerculus sandwichensis     1