Subject:  Great Horned Owl & Owl species in Lakewood Estates – South St. Pete.

Hi all:

At 1:30 this morning I was sitting at the computer when I heard a GHOW outside.
I went outside and heard it again across the street in some trees.  The bird
then moved down the block.   I could not determine if there were one or two owls
calling – probably one bird?  This is the first time I have heard a wild GHOW
call in this area.

About a year ago, during the middle of the night, I heard a Barred Owl calling
just down the street from me.  This was probably the wild Barred Owl, at the
time that was consorting with the captive BAOW at Boyd-Hill Nature center. These
guys are really quite rare in my hood.  From time to time I hear Eastern
Screech-Owls calling in the hood.  Screech-Owls are really rather common in my
area.

Sometimes, at night, you can hear the captive owls from Boyd-Hill– I am less
than a quarter of a mile from the Boyd-Hill.

Happy birding!

David Laliberte
St. Pete, FL