  On Monday November 8th. of this week I went by Cutler Wetlands here in
south Miami-Dade county.  As I was driving along the edge of the
wetlands, I saw a Black-billed Cuckoo flying along side the car.  It
then flew across the road in front of me and went into a tree next to
some houses.  There was a county maintenance truck parked here so I went
to park next to the wetlands.  As I was getting out of my car the truck
left so I went over to the tree where I saw the cuckoo fly into, in
hopes of getting a photo.  I was not able to relocate the bird for a
photo, those darn sneaky cuckoos!

Cutler Wetlands and just about all of south Miami-Dade county, had
thousands of Cave Swallows of the Mexican race.  These are larger and
paler than the West Indies race birds.  There were many of them at
Cutler Wetlands along with Bank Swallow, Barn Swallow, Northern
Rough-winged Swallow.  Near the Homestead Airport there were thousands
of Tree Swallows mixed in with Barn and Cave Swallows.  On Sunday there
were many, many swallows as well.

A little east of s.w. 217 ave. on s.w. 312 ave. near a nursery with
Banana plants, was a Lark Sparrow on the wire.  Just down from this was
a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher and as Western Kingbird.

A photo of a Cave Swallow:
http://www.southfloridabirding.com/images/tasphotos/DSC_7955cave_swallow_mexican.jpg

A photo of the Bank Swallow:
http://www.southfloridabirding.com/images/tasphotos/DSC_7967bank_swallow.jpg

A photo of a couple of Cave Swallow in flight:
http://www.southfloridabirding.com/images/tasphotos/DSC_7969cave_swallow_mexican.jpg

Larry Manfredi
Homestead, FL
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]