Diana and I took her aunt from West Virginia over to Crystal River for lunch
and to see the Gulf of Mexico. We went to Fort Island beach on the south
side of the mouth of Crystal River. Nothing particularly spectacular, but we
did spot 5 redhead just north of the fishing pier, lifers for both of us
since we typically bird in the interior. There was a lot of human activity
on a warm, holiday day at the beach and there were only a few shorebirds
present.

Good birding,
Larry Connor
Eustis, FL

Location:     Crystal River, Fort Island fishing pier
Observation date:     11/11/10
Notes:     Clear, light N wind.
Number of species:     5

Redhead - Aythya americana     5
Great Blue Heron - Ardea herodias     2
Ring-billed Gull - Larus delawarensis     8
Herring Gull - Larus argentatus     4
Boat-tailed Grackle (Florida) - Quiscalus major westoni     1

Location:     Fort Island, Crystal River, FL
Observation date:     11/11/10
Notes:     Clear, light N wind. I limited the count to birds observed within
the area bounded by the wall between the beach and the parking lot, and
inside jetties and boat exclusion cable including birds on the cable and
jetties. There were additional gulls and terns floating on the water outside
of the boundaries of the area.
Number of species:     8

Double-crested Cormorant - Phalacrocorax auritus     19
Ruddy Turnstone - Arenaria interpres     8
Sanderling - Calidris alba     9
Ring-billed Gull - Larus delawarensis     22
Herring Gull - Larus argentatus     23
Forster's Tern - Sterna forsteri     2
Royal Tern - Thalasseus maximus     2
Boat-tailed Grackle (Florida) - Quiscalus major westoni     24