I cannot respond to Brian Keegan's questions earlier today about the
degree to which those who produce histories of social network analysis
embrace Ted G. Lewis' position about the significance of 1998 as a
beginning of modern network science. Most of the traffic on the SOCNET
list would lead an observer to believe that Lewis has lots of supporters.

Like Keegan, I do not wish to denigrate the contributions of
mathematicians and physicists interested in network science. I work with
some of them. However, Keegan implies, correctly I think, that there are
other important matters of concern in dealing with social network analysis.

It is in that spirit that I point out the existence of a valuable online
Workshop on Reputation and Trust at the URL:
http://www.interdisciplines.org/conference.php?confid=18
You can download all of the position papers and comments and contribute
to the discussion yourself.

The workshop was organized by Gloria Origgi, faculty member of the
Institut Jean Nicod of EHESS (Ecole des hautes Etudes en Sciences
Sociales) -- Paris. She has done really interesting work on cooperation,
trust, and reputation. Those who use Academia.edu may wish to follow her
page and look at the papers she has loaded there.
http://ehess.academia.edu/GloriaORIGGI

I hope that this information is helpful.
Jack
--
Dr. J. B. "Jack" Owens, Ph.D.
Director, Geographically-Integrated History Laboratory