<<<-------- Carl Nordlund-------->>>

> With all due respect, and very grateful for your help, I do still think
> that there is some problems with the indices in the formula you supplied
> in your email.

  The main problem in the construction of (dis)similarity measures
  using a matrix of some relation between vertices  A[u,v] is that
  computing the dissimilarity d(u,v) we can't simply compare the
  row A[u,.] with the row A[v,.] (and/or the column A[.,u] with the
  column A[.,v]) - we can do this for vertices different from u and v;
  but we have to compare A[u,u] to A[v,v] and A[u,v] to A[v,u].
  If we are using in our measure both rows and columns then we are
  making this comparison twice - in some measures there is a special
  parameter specifying how many times we consider these comparisons
  (zero, once or twice).
  See Batagelj V., Ferligoj A., Doreian P.:  Direct and Indirect
  Methods for Structural Equivalence.  Social Networks  14(1992),
  63-90 or Patrick Doreian, Vladimir Batagelj, Anuška Ferligoj:
  Generalized blockmodeling, CUP 2005, page 178-184.

  Vlado

--
Vladimir Batagelj, University of Ljubljana, FMF, Department of Mathematics
  Jadranska 19, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia