Hi all,
Thanks to everyone who had suggestions. These I've forwarded to
colleagues, who are meeting next week to discuss them. They had requested
I refrain from disclosing details of the project & I feel obligated to
honor that. I'll speak with them next week.

The query:
> Some colleagues are interested in network analyses geo-coded egonets. They
> have the geographic location of ego and alters, but they do not have any
> information on ties between alters. I don't think network analysis has
> anything to offer.
>
> Any suggestions?

Do they have any attribute/membership/event info on the egos/alters? This
can be
used to perform a two-mode analysis of possible ties.

Other than that, you are right, SNA has nothing to offer.

Valdis Krebs
http://orgnet.com

sounds like you're looking for a way to determine the weight of ties. How
about the
simply the euclidian distance?

Steffen
-
Dr. Steffen Blaschke
Assistant Professor at the Chair of Organization and Management
Faculty of Business, Economics, and Social Sciences
University of Hamburg

> Do they have any attribute/membership/event info on the egos/alters? This
can be used to perform a two-mode analysis of possible ties.

In this case, one can use the attribute information to compute their
position the in vector space (e.g., cosine values) and project distances in
that space as a network on the geographical distances.

See also at http://www.leydesdorff.net/gmaps .
With best wishes,

Loet

passed to me from the SOCNET - feel free to add this reply to the
other replies you get from SOCNET, if you think it helps or enhances the
discussion

If sociometric networks can be constructed from the information,
then network analysis may indeed have something to offer.  In other
words, if there is enough information present on both egos and alters,
to say who is who, then it could be possible to develop identifiers
for both that are on the same par (same ID = same person).

I know there's already one matching variable... geography.  If there
are enough other variables to safely conclude that person X is the
same as person Y (regardless of whether X or Y is an ego or an alter),
then you have network analysis liftoff.

One other consideration... using geographical coordinates/places AS
NODES in a network could conceivably result in a network analysis,
even if the above is not true.  (but probably not as interesting or as
fruitful as knowing WHO the people in the network are, in my experience.)

Lawrence E. Raffalovich
Associate Professor

Department of Sociology               e-mail: [log in to unmask]
University at Albany
State University of New York          Voice: (518) 442-4456
1400 Washington Ave.                  Fax:   (518) 442-4936
Albany, NY 12222