Dear all,

We have preliminary findings about the fragmentation of the European network science field:

http://www.ceu.hu/cns/ans/euns

With Marco Scotti and Mariya Ivancheva we mapped the co-authorship  network of European network science. We included all scientists with a  European affiliation who presented a paper at the INSNA Sunbelt  conferences or the NetSci annual conferences between 2005 and 2008 - 532  scholars. We looked up the top 5 most cited publications of these  scholars, and included their co-authors in a dataset, that ultimately  contains 3543 persons authoring 1689 publications.

We  simulated scenarios  when European authors are free to choose any  co-author, from any country  or field. The only contraint that we kept  is that the number of  authors, the number of publications, and the  distribution of authors per  publications needs to stay the same.  In the one thousand simulations the average number of components was 139, with a range of 98 to 166. The observed co-authorship network has 240 components, a high number that is not likely to arise by chance. The bottom panel shows the relative size of the largest component to the size of the network. In a fragmented system the largest component does not gather a large fraction of the network. In our simulations the largest component on the average gathers 91.2% of all nodes, with a range between 89.1% and 93.4%. The observed proportion of the largest component is 18.6%, way smaller that we would expect in an "unbiased" system.

Does anyone have comparable data on the US networks field?

Best
Balazs