Thanks for posting this. I have been a freegan for a few years. Been
veggie for 15 years and in that time have done everything from
fruitarian to vegan and everything in between.
I don't dumpster dive that much any more, but the freegan movement
isn't that defined anyway. For me, I decided that eating food (as long
as it didn't have a face)to keep it from being wasted was more important
than adhering to a very privileged dogma (i.e. you go to your best
friend's house for Christmas and her family doesn't get the difference
between vegetarian and vegan and they make a ton of meat-free (even
though they are not) Italian food just for you (i.e. non-vegan cheese
everywhere)). Ethically, I personally feel that veganism is where it is
at (resource conservation, environmental protection, world hunger);
however, having been a vegan, I have evolved my belief to freeganism.
Vegans can get pretty condescending, unfortunately. It makes me upset
when those specific vegans fail to remember that they live in a world
without want and full of privilege if they are able to sustain
themselves nutritionally as vegans on their income. There are many
people in the world who may prefer to eat ethically, but can not afford
it. Does that make them wrong? Or just another victim of the system?

Oh, and Howard Zinn knowingly, willingly, and happily ate a 5 course
meal made from all dumpstered food. I know because I cooked it. he came
to speak at USF a few years ago for the Alliance of Concerned Students
and the local Food Not Bombs, of which I was member, served him his
welcome dinner prior to the lecture. He was an amazing person and is
sorely missed. Point being, it ain't that bad. Dumpstered food is fine
to eat, just don't dumpster dairy and meat (not hard for a
vegan/freegan), and you should be ok as long as you wash and cook like
normal all your food.

Just wanted to personalize the taboo to help people get over it.
peace and solidarity***RAIN***