FYI- I am forwarding a message from an urban studies list-serv, with info on a new email group associated with HRH Prince Charles's Foundation for the Built Environment

Kathleen Pagan,Sr. Planner, Alachua County FL

-----Original Message-----
From: Wendy Plotkin [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:14 PM
Subject: "The Original Green" (E-Mail Group on Sustainability)

From: Matthew Hardy <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Friends,

Steve Mouzon and I are delighted to announce the launch of The Original
Green email group.

"The Original Green is the sustainability our ancestors knew by heart.
Originally (before the Thermostat Age) they had no choice but to build
green; otherwise people would not survive very long. The Original Green
aggregates and distributes the wisdom of sustainability through the
operating system of living traditions, producing sustainable places in
which it is meaningful to build sustainable buildings. Original Green
sustainability is common-sense and plain-spoken, meaning "keeping
things going in a healthy way long into an uncertain future."
Sustainable places should be nourishable because, if you cannot eat
there, you cannot live there. They should be accessible because we need
many ways to get around, especially walking and biking because those
methods do not require fuel. They should be serviceable because we need
to be able to get the basic services of life within walking distance.
We also should be able to make a living where we are living if we
choose to. They should be securable against rough spots in the
uncertain future because if there is too much fear, the people will
leave. Sustainable buildings should be lovable because if they cannot
be loved, they will not last. They should be durable because if they
cannot endure, they are not sustainable. They should be flexible
because if they endure, they will need to be used for many uses over
the centuries. They should be frugal because energy and resource hogs
cannot be sustained in a healthy way long into an uncertain future."

"The Original Green" (ISBN-10: 1931871116, ISBN-13: 978-1931871112) is
the point of reference.

To join the group, please go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/originalgreen/ and click on the "Join
this group" button.

Cheers,

Matthew Hardy

Dr Matthew Hardy RAIA FRSA RIBA
Senior Lecturer in Architecture & Urbanism
The Prince's Foundation for the Built Environment
http://www.princes-foundation.org/

H-Urban Posting/Mailing Address:  [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask]) (H-Urban editor-on-duty reviews *all* mail, including postings and e-mail directly to the editors. You do not have to subscribe to post.  Nothing is posted directly to list.  Feel free to write us at this address if you have a question, comment, or problem with your subscription.)