From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 8:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Takenaka, Others To Build Offshore Biofuel Plant

NL06

Monday, December 27, 2010

Takenaka, Others To Build Offshore Biofuel Plant

TOKYO (Nikkei)--Tokyo Institute of Technology, Takenaka Corp. and others are planning an offshore pilot plant that aims to grow algae that will absorb carbon dioxide and produce biofuel.

A rendering of an offshore plant producing fuel and other useful products.

Takao Kashiwagi, a professor at the university, and six other people from the government, business and academic sectors will set up a foundation in April for the project. The effort aims to use the ocean more effectively for energy production, which is less developed than land-based production, as well as use algae and other marine life to produce fuel and other products.

NEC Corp. (6701), Yokogawa Electric Corp. (6841) and Yaskawa Electric Corp. (6506) will also take part.

The wide-ranging project aims to develop technology to absorb and store carbon dioxide; conduct biofuel research; increase production of algae that can break down fats for use in health products; build large, floating artificial islands; and conduct research on infrastructure such as electricity, water and sewerage for offshore facilities.

Takenaka, together with Okinawa Electric Power Co. (9511) and others, is currently experimenting with growing algae in an offshore tank in the sea off Okinawa Prefecture. Seawater and gasses emitted by plants are injected into the tank.

The company will begin working with local governments on similar experiments, most likely in fiscal 2011, in Hokkaido, Aichi, Akita, Aomori and Toyama prefectures in hopes of building a large offshore plant that can make fuel and other useful products.

Before the foundation is set up, the team will solicit participation by other businesses in the project, probably in early 2011.

It expects about 50 companies from a range of industries, including energy, construction, food and pharmaceuticals, to take part.

(The Nikkei Dec. 27 evening edition)

Links to Company Watch

         Yaskawa Electric Corp. (6506)

         NEC Corp. (6701)

         Yokogawa Electric Corp. (6841)

         The Okinawa Electric Power Co., Inc. (9511)

Source: Nikkei Net Interactive (http://www.nikkei.com )
Copyright 2011 Nikkei Inc. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer and conditions of use:
Nikkei Inc. makes every effort to provide accurate information and data. However, Nikkei will not accept any responsibility whatsoever for damage or loss arising from use of information obtained through this service.

Copyrights remain the property of Nikkei. Reproduction of Nikkei articles or any other material obtained through this service, in whole or in part, without the express written permission of Nikkei is strictly prohibited.

EE                    Tokyo, 14 January 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,

 The Netherlands Office of Science and Technology (TWA-kantoor) in Tokyo
features a dedicated information service. We are classifying our contacts in
specific interest groups. We will keep these target groups updated on
scientific and technological developments in Japan, Korea and Taiwan in
their specific field of interest.

 On the basis of our information we classified you in the target group Energy, Environmental Technology.

Should you not be interested in this service, please return this mail without remarks

and you will be deleted from this list. Should you know other people who will be interested,

inform us and we will include them in this list.

 Please contact us should you wish to receive additional information about
the topic above and we will do our best to assist you.

Yours sincerely,

Office of Science and Technology

Netherlands Embassy

3-6-3 Shiba-Koen, Minato-ku,

Tokyo 105-0011, Japan

tel: +81-3-5776-5510 - fax +81-3-5776-5534

TWA website: http://www.TWAnetwerk.nl/

Embassy website: http://www.oranda.or.jp/

P Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this e-mail?

This message shall not constitute any obligations. This message is intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please inform us immediately and delete its contents.

Aan dit bericht kunnen geen rechten worden ontleend. Het bericht is alleen bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien dit bericht niet voor u is bestemd, verzoeken wij u dit onmiddellijk aan ons te melden en de inhoud van het bericht te vernietigen.