Dear Colleagues,

I've just learned that our esteemed colleague, Prof. Suraj Bandyopadhyay
of the Indian Statistical Institute (Calcutta) passed away last September.

His student Dr. Suchismita Roy <[log in to unmask]> has given me the
news.

Dr. Roy is looking for a postdoctoral position. I have suggested that he
write a note to this list, detailing his abilities and interests.

Suraj himself was a wonderful person and scholar. I benefited greatly from
our work together at the ISI and afterwards. He wasn't as well known as
he should have been, given the difficulties of getting financial support
to travel from Calcutta.

Here is a very incomplete summary of his work:

Bandyopadhyay, Suraj, and Donald van Eschen. "An Extended Summary of the
Conditions of Rural Progress in India." Calcutta: Indian Statistical
Institute, 1981.

Villager Failure to Co-Operate: Some Evidence from West Bengal,
India." In Who Shares? Co-Operatives and Rural Development, 112-45. Delhi:
Oxford University Press, 1988.

Bandyopadhyay, Suraj, and A.R. Rao. "Social Networks Analysis of Survival
Strategy of the Rural Poor: A Case Study in the Context of Decetrnalised
Planning." In Seminar on Decentralization and Devolution of Planning
Process. Calcutta, 1998.

Chatterjee, A.K., A.R. Rao, and Suraj Bandyopadhyay. "Relative Importance
of Different Factors for Boundary of Reciprocity." Calcutta: Indian
Statistical Institute, 1991.

  Barry Wellman