Hello.
I would suggest ORA: (http://www.casos.cs.cmu.edu/projects/ora/software.php).
It's free, user-friendly and with decent visualization options.
Best regards,
Alexander.

2011/1/18 Barry Wellman <[log in to unmask]>

> On behalf of Karen Christensen
>
>  Barry Wellman
>
> I've been thinking about online and in-person communities a lot, having
> accidentally become the founder/moderator of the first Great Barrington
> neighborhood listserv. Very popular. And at the same time I'm getting to
> know people in the West Village through writing for the local paper
> about Jane Jacobs and community. Two sides of the coin. Fun.
>
> Greetings! And apologies if this has been discussed recently on the
> listserv - I did a quick scan and didn't see anything.
>
> I would be very grateful for your recommendation of a simple network
> mapping tool. Ideally, something into which I could drop data from an
> Excel sheet and see overlapping institutions/companies, locations, etc.
> I'm trying to get a handle on small personal networks, and then think
> about how they get connected one to another (via professional
> associations and listservs like this, for example).
>
> In case you're interested, the thing that got me thinking about this is
> the way Chinese and China-focused professionals consciously build little
> consulting businesses around their personal network of family and
> friends. I want to compare a few of those networks to similar Western
> individuals' networks. If you've seen data about this, I'd also very
> much appreciate any leads.
>
> I do hope there are a few easy tools for me to try - thanks in advance
> for your help.
>
> Cheers, Karen.
>
> Karen CHRISTENSEN
>
> Berkshire Publishing Group LLC -
>
> December News http://ow.ly/3qWGC
> Sign up for a weekly Berkshire Byte: World History, China, or
> Sustainabytes available free at http://ow.ly/3iLGW <http://ow.ly/3iLGW>
>
> <http://www.berkshirepublishing.com/>
>
> +1 413 528 0206 | Fax +1 413 541 0076 | Skype: karen_christensen
> Blog: www.berkshirepublishing.com/blog
> <http://www.berkshirepublishing.com/blog>
>
> Twitter: www.twitter.com/karenchristenze
> <http://www.twitter.com/karenchristenze>
> --

Alexander Semenov.
MA student
Faculty of Sociology
Moscow School of Social and Economic Sciences (MSSES)
http://www.msses.ru/English/index.html

Graduate Student in Sociology at
State University - Higher School of Economics
http://www.hse.ru/eng