http://www.psychwiki.com/wiki/The_Bystander_Apathy_Effect

In fact it was a Darley & Latane study on responsability dilution "Bystander Apathy Effect"
bset

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] De la part de Barry Wellman
Envoyé : jeudi 6 janvier 2011 06:41
À : [log in to unmask]
Objet : no Facebook friends helping the suicidal girl?

Jeff Johnson's post on this reminds me of the well-known story in the
1960s when no one came to the aide of a NYC girl (Kitty Genovese) as she
was assaulted and murdered within earshot of a large high-rise building.
As in this case, no one even called 911/emergency.

Both Bibb Latane and Stan Milgram wrote about this, as I recall.

When the people were interviewed later, they all said in effect they were
weak ties, and they assumed someone closer to the assaulted person would
intervene. Of course, this might be self-exerving explanations.

I wonder if a similar explanation will be forthcoming this time, given
that most Facebook ties (reportedly she had 1K) are weak.

  Barry Wellman