Hi Balazs,

Perhaps on point:

Co-Citation of Prominent Social Network Articles in Sociology
Journals: The Evolving Canon,
Connections
Lazer,David, , Mergel,Ines, , Friedman,Allan,

Social network analysis has been a particularly hot area across the
social (and some non-social) sciences. How has this growth, in turn,
affected the field of social network analysis within sociology, the
discipline which has served as the primary home of social network
analysis over the last several decades? In order to answer this
question, we examined the citation patterns of the social network
papers in the two leading general sociology journals, the American
Sociological Review and the American Journal of Sociology, from
1990-2005, focusing on the body of literature that was cited by at
least two social network papers in a given year. We produced two
network snapshots of the social network canon during this period.
These analyses reveal a combination of great change and substantial
continuity. There was a substantial increase in interest in social
networks in sociology throughout this period, and, in particular, an
enormous rise in interest in small world issues, coupled with the
abrupt entry of mathematicians and physicists into the sociology
social network canon. However, during this entire period Granovetter’s
work remained squarely at the center of the canon, with Granovetter
(1973) as the most cited piece at both the earlier and later
snapshots.

http://www.insna.org/PDF/Connections/v29/2009_I-1_P-43-64.pdf

chrs,

David

David Lazer (www.davidlazer.com)

Associate Professor of Political Science and Computer Science
Northeastern University &
Director, Program on Networked Governance
Harvard Kennedy School
Harvard University
The netgov blog: http://www.iq.harvard.edu/blog/netgov/