Phillip,

If I remember correctly, calculation of mean/variance should be done by Monte Carlo approximation,
and at least in the case of mean NetMiner does it. I don't remember whether they provide variance,
but in my vague memory I think they at least give you p-values, which is more meaningful than variance
(since those triad census statistics are not necessarily (and almost surely not) normally distributed).

I'm sorry I can't give you details since I can't run the program now,
but I'm pretty sure you have the solution (in any form) there.

Unfortunately NetMiner is a commercial program, but they provide trial versions for restricted
node size of the graph. Since you can't run triad census on large graphs anyway,
(since you also need to get mean/variance of those statistics, the computational cost blows up
so I guess it's only doable for graphs with only 10~100 nodes)
this would not be a big problem.

(You can get it in: http://www.netminer.com )

If you want a scalable implementation of this you may try using nauty,
a software for graph isomorphism testing.
It could be that someone has already implemented triad census based on nauty,
but I haven't seen it personally.

You can get nauty in:
http://cs.anu.edu.au/people/bdm/nauty/

I think SOCNET has been receiving multiple question about triad census lately.
I wonder what is the reason? Can you elaborate on in what context you're interested in triad census?

Thanks,
Hyokun Yun
Ph.D Candidate
Department of Statistics