***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Hello.
I would suggest ORA: (http://www.casos.cs.cmu.edu/projects/ora/software.php). It's free, user-friendly and with decent visualization options.
Best regards,
Alexander.

2011/1/18 Barry Wellman <[log in to unmask]>

On behalf of Karen Christensen

 Barry Wellman

I've been thinking about online and in-person communities a lot, having
accidentally become the founder/moderator of the first Great Barrington
neighborhood listserv. Very popular. And at the same time I'm getting to
know people in the West Village through writing for the local paper
about Jane Jacobs and community. Two sides of the coin. Fun.

Greetings! And apologies if this has been discussed recently on the
listserv - I did a quick scan and didn't see anything.

I would be very grateful for your recommendation of a simple network
mapping tool. Ideally, something into which I could drop data from an
Excel sheet and see overlapping institutions/companies, locations, etc.
I'm trying to get a handle on small personal networks, and then think
about how they get connected one to another (via professional
associations and listservs like this, for example).

In case you're interested, the thing that got me thinking about this is
the way Chinese and China-focused professionals consciously build little
consulting businesses around their personal network of family and
friends. I want to compare a few of those networks to similar Western
individuals' networks. If you've seen data about this, I'd also very
much appreciate any leads.

I do hope there are a few easy tools for me to try - thanks in advance
for your help.

Cheers, Karen.

Karen CHRISTENSEN

Berkshire Publishing Group LLC -

December News http://ow.ly/3qWGC
Sign up for a weekly Berkshire Byte: World History, China, or
Sustainabytes available free at http://ow.ly/3iLGW <http://ow.ly/3iLGW>

<http://www.berkshirepublishing.com/>

+1 413 528 0206 | Fax +1 413 541 0076 | Skype: karen_christensen
Blog: www.berkshirepublishing.com/blog
<http://www.berkshirepublishing.com/blog>

Twitter: www.twitter.com/karenchristenze
<http://www.twitter.com/karenchristenze>