Hey Everybirdy,

  Working on a Merritt island Big year for 2011.  Only 83 species so far but
I'm biding my time at the moment.  scanned Mosquito Lagoon around noon time
today from the north end of Biolab and found over a dozen common Loons, 2
Horned Grebes, several (10+) Red-breasted Mergansers as well as a small
flock of 15 or so Bufflehead.  With the water receding quite a bit they were
considerably far out, perhaps 200 yards out past the hundred or so White
Pelicans in a very wide spread formation.
  Had a Bonaparte's gull make me do a double and triple take at the boat
ramp parking lot.  Had high hopes for a Black-headed Gull as it had
considerably more black on the head and a rather large spot, but it was the
orange legs that made me wonder until I got good looks at the primaries on
the underwing, all white.  Been seeing all first year birds, this was the
first adult I'd encountered out there thus far.  I'll keep looking though!

  See you out there!

Tom Dunkerton
Titusville, FL