Yesterday, good buddy Jose Padilla and I did some birding here in
Collier County, mainly trying to add to Jose's year list and my 2011
Collier County Big Year totals. First, we stopped at Laredo Street in
East Naples to try to find the Yellow-breasted Chat reported by David
Thurston. No go on the chat but we did see Ruby-throated Hummingbird,
Merlin, Eastern Meadowlark & Scissor-tailed Flycatcher among others.
Our next stop was on SR 29 just north of Florida Panther NWR. Here,
our best birds were Short-tailed Hawk (light morph) and Great "White"
Heron (Great Blue Heron white morph -- see link to photo). Link:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1865993&l=bd7280fd7b&id=1452300618

Our next stop was at the intersection of Oil Well Park Rd. & SR 29.
Here we found the following species: Northern Waterthrush, Indigo
Bunting, Yellow-throated Warbler, Blue-headed Vireo, Common Ground-
Dove, Ruby-crowned Kinglet and further down Oil Well Park Rd. we saw a
Wild Turkey.

On Oil Well Rd. (CR858) near the Hendry County Correctional Facility,
we saw over 30 Limpkins as well as one brief glimpse of a Western
Kingbird.

In the town of Immokalee, at some friend's yard feeders, we observed
lots of American Goldfinches, Chipping Sparrows, one Ruby-throated
Hummingbird, many Painted Bunting & Indigo Buntings.

On SR 29 between SR82 & Collier/Hendry County Line we saw three
Scissor-tailed Flycatchers.

Good birding!

Vincent P. Lucas
Naples, FL