Absolutely a good idea to evaluate these new developments.  However, it is also important that we keep these numbers in perspective. If, for example, the Bakken formation oil production goes from 30,000 barrels per day to 300,000 barrels per day, this is a huge deal for those local economies.  This increase however means very little on the national scale and global scale.  Our oil imports might go from 10,000,000 barrels per day to 9,730,000 barrels per day.  A nice blip, but it doesn't change the fundamentals.

Dr. Wendell A. Porter, P.E.
Agricultural & Biological Engineering

-----Original Message-----
From: Bioenergy and Sustainable Technology Society [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jason Evans
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:15 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Oil "fracking"

I was a little hesitant to send this due to last week's discussion about
the Bakken shale formation, but I think it is important for BEST'ers to
get a feel for some of the more credible information about unconventional
oil production in the US West.

A new drilling technique is opening up vast fields of previously
out-of-reach oil in the western United States, helping reverse a
two-decade decline in domestic production of crude.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/09/AR2011020904027.html