The potential to poison and entire regions groundwater is at stack. Only to perpetuate a polluting and climate change inducing fuel.

U.S. EPA releases draft plan for fracking study
U.S. environmental regulators issued a draft plan on Tuesday outlining how they will determine whether a technique for drilling natural gas harms supplies of drinking water.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=us-epa-releases-draft-plan-for-frac

One Big Fracking Problem for Oil and Gas Industry
http://www.bnet.com/blog/clean-energy/one-big-fracking-problem-for-oil-and-gas-industry/450
The concern is that underground water could be contaminated during hydraulic fracturing or fracking. In the process, drillers pump millions of gallons of water mixed with chemicals and sand under high pressure into horizontal wells. The pressure cracks shale deposits and releases the gas. Most of the  mixture is removed, although some remains. The mix is then put into open pits for evaporation and eventually trucked to a disposal site. The exact chemical mixture is considered a trade secret, although many including benzene are considered highly toxic.

Transparency at center of fracking debate
http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/articles/transparency_at_center_of_frac