Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 15:50:09 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: OI---you better be sitting down when you read this ! !
To: [log in to unmask]

I think this discussion has strayed from the issue at hand.

I hope that what the original poster was looking for was a discussion of the more modern techniques of oil extraction, and how those in the academic community interpret the benefits and costs associated with such activities.  In this case shale hydrofracturing should be the center of our debate.

Thus i propose several questions for the academics. What are the true costs of extracting oil via this method?  Are there life cycle assessments available?  Do these point to any chemicals/compounds of interest to public health, environmental health?  Furthermore, do we have any petroleum engineers on BEST?  I am curious how they would respond.

I realize the nature of the message was disturbing and it is instinctual to react to such information, but if we cannot answer these questions effectively we will be incapable of developing a counter message.