Hello Chareane,
When I designed and taught courses at UC Berkeley, we combined reading
with study strategies into a single course.

I'm curious what you mean by "contextualized and integrated learning".
Perhaps you could explain it more.
It sounds very much like one of the reasons I linked academic, non-
fiction reading with other learning and study strategies in my courses.
What I've learned by analyzing course design (and from the many
courses I've worked with instructors to design when wearing my faculty
development hat) is that there are many different kinds of expectations
around reading and learning with text depending upon the course
objectives and design. That is, what counts as effective reading is
situationally dependent, and a key part of students' strategizing is
understanding the function of the text relative to course objectives
and other course components. Additionally, reading and learning from
text are never (or rarely) done independently of class activities,
note-taking, etc. So, how one reads, learns in class, takes notes,
studies and prepares for exams and approaches assignments are all
mutually dependent. Thus, it follows that all of these aspects of
academic learning be addressed in the same course so that these inter-
dependencies can be addressed. In my courses I taught an "approach" to
academic learning, that is an integrated set of strategies for meeting
all of the demands of learning in a course. Each aspect of academic
learning (reading, note-making, studying, exam prep, etc.) was taught
in relation to the others and an overarching framework.

I'll give one brief example to illustrate why conceptualizing reading
(or, as I prefer to call it, "learning with text") as part of a
holistic approach to learning is important. Oftentimes, lectures or
other class activities are specifically designed with the assigned
text in mind, and with implicit expectations about how students will
integrate the two. An instructor may provide background or other
context to the text(s). He/She may argue against the text, or analyze
a portion of it to exemplify the kind of analysis expected of
students, or highlight passages, theory, concepts, etc.  critical to
the particular course, or fulfill any number of other purposes.
Students need to account for these different purposes in their
strategic approach to learning with text in order to select,
prioritize and organize information. How does one apply information
from lecture to one's reading in all of these different ways? It is
not a transparent process. Utilizing knowledge of the course and
assigned texts in note-making is similarly worth considering in a
learning strategies course.

Socio-cognitive and situated literacy research has been helpful to me
in understanding the learning with text demands that university
courses pose for students. Some of Nist and Simpson's might be helpful.

Best,
Nic
On Jan 31, 2011, at 8:32 PM, Chareane Wimbley-Gouveia wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Do you teach reading and study strategies in the same course?
>
> The Developmental Studies Department at Linn-Benton Community
> College is reviewing the scope and sequence of our reading and study
> skills courses. We are very interested in looking at syllabi for
> courses that focus on student persistence and emphasize
> metacognition, contextualized and integrated learning, and research
> supported strategy instruction.
>
> I'd also like to hear from you if you are working toward similar
> goals, and can point me to conference presenters who have inspired
> you, or research that has been meaningful to your work.
>
> Cordially,
>

> Chareane Wimbley-Gouveia
> Faculty/Learning Center Coordinator
> Chair/Developmental Studies