I would suggest you go to your Career Center or your Writing Center for their assistance.  Both areas have strengths in assisting students with application letters for all sorts of things.

Kathy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patricia Maher" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, February 4, 2011 11:28:48 AM
Subject: Re: Admissions Essay Workshop

Personally, I find writing on the spot challenging.

Another idea might be to offer some sample essays, some good, some not, and have them break up into groups and critique them. I would offer some form of rubric for the critique process.  This way you can have them feed back to the larger group and identify the characteristics of better essays as well as the types of errors people make.  You can summarize what they found and send it out after the workshop as a follow up.

Pat

Patricia A. Maher, Ph. D.
Director, Tutoring and Learning Services
University of South Florida
4202 E. Fowler Ave.
Tampa, FL  33620
LIB 206