I totally agree with Nic's and Helene's approach.  When I taught a
freshman seminar attached to a general studies course, the seminar
included a strong core of study skills.  While I appreciate any number
of assessments that ask the students to self-assess or answer
questions about study strategies, those tests never really assured me
that the students would be ok.  (After all, humans are adept at
knowing what to do and answering multiple choice questions
appropriately, but that doesn't mean our behaviors match our
knowledge.)  My students had to turn in a portfolio with samples of
learning strategies applied for the content course. There were some
things that every student turned in (e.g., sets of class notes, sample
flashcards, text pages marked/highlighted for main ideas, weekly time
management schedule) and a list of other options from which they could
choose several items (e.g., graphic organizers, relevant web pages,
memorization tricks, lists of related books in the library, chapter
outline).  While they might never ever again use the strategies (see
above about knowing something vs. acting upon what we know), at least
I had evidence that they knew how to use a variety of study strategies
and could apply what they learned in future courses.