We have SLA for the first level developmental courses for English and Math.  There are no problems with attendance or with students signing contracts.  One thing that is essential is that faculty members buy into the program.  Without their support, you can hang it up.  That means the faculty have to give some bite to non-attendance.  On the front end, it might be wise to sell the program better up front--that is, let students know the overall benefits of attending sessions. (pass/fail rates, course GPA, etc for thos who attend and those who do not).  I have over ten years of data showing a significant difference.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathryn Van Wagoner
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: SLA questions

Our university offers Structured Learning Assistance (see www.ferris.edu/sla for more info) for students enrolled in a few sections of Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, and College Algebra courses. Some of the challenges we have faced include:

1.  Low enrollment numbers
2.  Student resistance to the mandatory attendance policy
3.  Student refusal to sign the contract
4.  Student resistance regarding active participation
5.  Persistent math anxiety

Has your institution tried to implement any modifications to the Structured Learning Assistance program?  What are these modifications?  How have these modifications been successful?  Do you have any suggestions that could help us address these issues?  Thank you.

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Utah Valley University
Math Lab Manager
801-863-8411