Hi all,

Thought I'd share a new training activity I just tested out during tutor training last week.

Every semester, we go over the ATP code of tutor ethics and standards during core tutor training.  Our tutors are already divided into teams for the day, so I generally divide up the list so each group gets 2-3 standards to do.  In the past, I've had them come up with role-plays illustrating each standard by showing the standard in action, or illustrating each standard by showing the standard being violated (e.g. illustrating what it means to maintain confidentiality by role-playing a tutor violating confidentiality).  This semester, I tried something new, based on idea some of my tutors had last semester.  I combined both versions of the activity into a single activity, modeled after "Good Idea, Bad Idea" from the cartoon Animaniacs.  Most of my tutors fall into the right age to have seen Animaniacs when they were little kids, but for those who hadn't seen it, we showed an example from YouTube before we began.  Here's the one we used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCK8ZoC0KPI

Each group came to the front of the room, read the name of the standard and its definition, then illustrated the standard with a short "Good Idea" role-play followed by a short "Bad Idea" role play.  Obviously this isn't enough to cover every possible aspect of each standard, but it's enough to get them thinking.

MICHELE COSTABILE DONEY
DIRECTOR, MATH & SCIENCE RESOURCE CENTER
OFFICE OF UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES
[cid:[log in to unmask]]
445 W 59 ST
NEW YORK, NY 10019