For what it's worth, I had a similar feature in the study strategies
courses I taught at UC Berkeley. I called the course the "focal
course" and students applied the approaches and techniques we worked
on in class to them each week. They then turned in products or
artifacts they had created (e.g.  sets of notes, outlines, study
guides, study plans) for comment. They used many of these as part of a
midterm project that required each student to analyze a course,
identify its learning challenges, and propose a principled strategic
approach for meeting those challenges. In that sense, they were
collected, but not for a portfolio.
Best,
Nic
On Feb 7, 2011, at 3:54 PM, Helene Selco wrote:

> Hello Kryz Galetin,
> Saundra McGuire has been in touch with me about your question about
> the Study Skills Portfolio that I require of my students in my study
> skills course, HE1115, at Cornell.
> First let me mention that the course has evolved over the many years
> that I have taught HE1115 at Cornell and a somewhat similar course
> that I taught at Oberlin.
> In both instances, however,  I have always required students to
> apply/practice strategies taught in the study skills course to a
> “content area course” the student is enrolled in simultaneously with
> the study skills course.  I  refer to the “application” course as
> the “target course.”  I encourage students to apply strategies to
> any or all of their courses, but I require that they apply all
> strategies to the “target course.”   The portfolio consists of
> samples of how the student applied time management, comprehension,
> notetaking, mapping,  and exam preparation among other strategies to
> the “target course.” I have found that this approach  helps students
> to see how effective this “full court press” of study strategies can
> be in succeeding academically.
> Please contact me with any additional questions.
> Best regards,
> Helene
>
> --
> Helene Selco, Ph.D.