It's clear to all readers of Twitter and the MSM that Facebook and Twitter
played a role in the Egyptian movement that toppled Mubarak.

But how much of a role? More generally, how much were social networks involved?

There's so much speculation, that I really don't want more.
BUT
I would appreciate systematic evidence -- be it ethnographic, online analyses,
or survey based -- even though it may be early for that to appear. I am
thinking of the work that Joe Feagin did on 1968's ghetto riots; the ongoing
work of Doug McAdam over the years.

I wonder if anyone interviewed the folks in Tahrir Square (besides the secret
police), just as Feagin interviewed folks in Detroit jails, and would love to
read some personal accounts.

In hope that things turn out well in Egypt!

  Barry Wellman