The deadlines for applications to PhD programs at US universities are
typically in November and December. Your search for a PhD program should be
guided first and foremost by identifying faculty mentors whose work most
closely aligns with your own research interests. Second, you should identify
what academic disciplines your work draws most heavily upon. There is
research in online social networks by scholars of computer science,
communication studies, sociology, social psychology, statistics, information
& library sciences, organizational & management studies, marketing, and so
on. Social network research is obviously an interdisciplinary field, but
there are distinct intellectual and theoretical traditions between and
within each of these you should keep in mind when applying for programs -- a
data miner may find out too late that a program emphasizing cultural studies
may not be an ideal fit.

Best,
Brian

--
Brian C. Keegan
Ph.D. Student - Media, Technology, & Society

Science of Networks in Communities, Laboratory for Collaborative Technology