What you have explained here is the Jaccard index (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaccard_index), which is very closely related
to the cosine similarity measure (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosine_similarity). Both measures are used for
measuring how similar two samples (sets, clusters, etc) are.

Best
Aziz

Abedelaziz Mohaisen
Ph.D. Student, UMN