Barry,

I'm at the Fletcher School at Tufts, and we've just launched an effort we're
calling "21st Century Resistance Movements."  We're collecting just the kind
of information you are looking for, with the hope of being able to map the
networks enabled by social media and new technologies of all kinds.  I've
got students heading to do interviews with the organizers in Cairo and
Tunis, and I'm happy to share with you or others on the list.

FYI, I wrote my dissertation on the technology-enabled opposition networks
in Serbia during the Milosevic period.  I created a combination of SNA and
process-tracing to both map and trace the processes that were transmitted
primarily via email and Internet chat (no social media at the time,
obviously.)  I hope to use this same methodology for the current cases.

Check out our fledgling Facebook page (search in FB for "21st Century
Resistance Movements") There will be pointers to the data and other info in
the days and weeks to come.  Please 'like' the page (if you do), as we're
hoping to get a short URL as soon as we get enough fans.

One question for you and the list: does anyone know how (or if) one can
obtain data on the Twitter and FB 'transactions' in a given country?  I
would like to map the networks as they developed. Clearly, I don't expect to
get content or even names for the nodes, but some identification of the
nodes would be helpful. For Serbia, I had to reconstruct them all from
interviews, and it took me years to do so.

Best,
Rusty Tunnard