See also:

*Zeev Maoz 2006.** **Network Polarization, Network Interdependence, and
International Conflict, 1816-2002.**/Journal of Peace Research,/**/
/**43(4): 391-411.* <http://jpr.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/43/4/391>

*http://jpr.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/43/4/391
<http://jpr.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/43/4/391>***

*Zeev Maoz and Zeynep Somer-Topcu 2010. Political Polarization and
Cabinet Stability in Multiparty Systems: A Social Networks Analysis of
European Parliaments, 1945-98. /British Journal of Political Science//
/40(4): 805-833. <http://journals.cambridge.org/repo_A798Yzae>*

John McCreery wrote:
> ***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** Aziz, thank you,
> thank you, thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for.
>
> John
>
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Aziz Mohaisen <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>     What you have explained here is the Jaccard index
>     (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaccard_index), which is very
>     closely related to the cosine similarity measure
>     (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosine_similarity). Both measures
>     are used for measuring how similar two samples (sets, clusters,
>     etc) are.
>
>     Best
>     Aziz
>
>     Abedelaziz Mohaisen
>     Ph.D. Student, UMN
>     http://www.cs.umn.edu/~mohaisen <http://www.cs.umn.edu/%7Emohaisen>
>

>     On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 9:07 PM, John McCreery
>     <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>         ***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org ***** A few
>         months ago I stumbled across a simple measure of cluster
>         overlap. Assume two clusters, A and B, that contain a total of
>         n nodes of which m nodes belong to both clusters or, in other
>         words, n is the number of nodes in the union of A and B and m
>         the number of nodes in the intersection of A and B. The
>         measure is something along the lines of  overlap=m/n=nodes in
>         intersection/nodes in union. My problem is (1) that I have
>         forgotten where I found this measure and (2) am not 100% sure
>         that it was as simple as I recall. If you recognize this
>         problem, can point me to a source or provide me with a correct
>         or better formula, your help will be much appreciated.
>
>         John
>
>         --
>         John McCreery
>         The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN
>         Tel. +81-45-314-9324
>         [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>         http://www.wordworks.jp/
>

> --
> John McCreery
> The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN
> Tel. +81-45-314-9324
> http://www.wordworks.jp/

Prof. Ilan Talmud, Ph.D.
Head, Economic Sociology, Department of Sociology and Anthropology,
University of Haifa
Phones: 972-4-8240992 (office direct)
972-4-8240995 / 8249505 (secretaries)
(cell) 972-522-220914 Fax: 972-4-8240819

http://soc.haifa.ac.il/~talmud/